Maharajah's Government College of Music and Dance


It was established in 1919 by Pusapati Vijayarama Gajapathi Raju, Maharajah of Vizianagram. It was named "Sri Vijayarama Gana Pathasala".

 

Chaganti Jogarao was friend of Vijayarama Gajapati Raju. He had a son, Chaganti Gangaraju, who was blind and loved music. He urged the Maharajah to help him. He donated the Town Hall building behind the fort for the purpose and thus the music school was started. Adibhatla Narayana Dasu was chosen for its principal and Dwaram Venkataswamy Naidu as professor. After him, the institution was promoted as "Sri Vijayarama Music and Dance College" by Sri Alak Narayana Gajapati Raju and established more sections. The government of Andhra Pradesh took over its management on 15 August 1955. It is under the affiliation of Potti Sreeramulu Telugu University, Hyderabad. The later Maharajah P. V. G. Raju promoted it further.

 

Students learn vocal, classical dance, violin, veena, mridangam, nadaswaram and dolu. The college offers a two-year diploma course and a four-year certificate course in dance and music. Scholarships are awarded to meritorious students. Free food is sponsored by Sri Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy Devasthanam, Simhachalam for poor students.

 

The college organises Music Durbar and invites distinguished personalities to perform before their students. A music festival is organised annually during the Vinayaka Chaviti day with performances by teachers and students.

 

Buridi Laxmi Naidu, Vasa Venkata Rao, A.B.T. Sundaramma, Dokka Srirama Murthy and many other personalities worked in the Maharajah's Government College of Music and Dance.

 

Founders

alternative text

VIJAYA RAMA GAJAPATHI

alternative text

ALAK NARAYANA GAJAPATHI

alternative text

PVG RAJU


First Student

alternative text

CHAGANTI GANGA BABU
Violonist